Are Honey and Turmeric good for Coughing?
Coughing is one common problem that most Indians face, especially when there are changes in the weather conditions. In fact, just a slight drizzle is enough for many people to catch a cold or cough these days. It is mainly because of the poor immune system that many people have nowadays, thanks to the poor eating habits and increasing pollution.
Taking OTC medicines might not be the best idea every time, as they can cause side effects. This is where food items like turmeric and honey can save the day for you. Consuming turmeric and honey for cough can relieve you from the symptoms quickly. In this post, we will be talking about their efficiency and different ways to consume them.
How good are turmeric and honey for people suffering from cough?
Using honey and turmeric for cough can prove to be a masterstroke, as both these ingredients have excellent antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory properties. Therefore, there should be no doubt about whether turmeric and honey are good enough to alleviate the symptoms of cough or not. It surely does the job for you. Let us take you through the benefits in detail.
1. Gives relief from sore throat – First and foremost, honey has the ability to soothe a sore throat, as it reduces the itchiness and dryness in the throat. This is exactly the reason why this mix of honey and turmeric is ideal for people suffering from dry cough. If you mix the paste with lukewarm water, then it would improve the efficacy even more.
2. Fights off bacterial and viral infections – Most coughs are caused by bacterial or viral infections, and consuming honey with turmeric for cough can save the day for you. Both honey and turmeric have antibacterial and antiviral properties, which should reduce the effects of such infections. With regular use of this home-made cough syrup, you should be able to get a clear throat within a couple of days.
3. Improves immune system – Both turmeric and honey are great natural sources that help in increasing immunity. The antioxidants present in them fight the free radicals, and thereby circulating blood that is free of toxins. As a result, your metabolism and immune system increases. With a better immune system, you won’t face the issue of catching cold or cough regularly.
This is the reason why the liquid mix of turmeric and honey should be considered as a preventive remedy as well, which means it should be consumed even if you are not suffering from cough.
4. Improves sleep cycle – One of the biggest drawbacks of suffering from cough is that you hardly get to sleep. You end up sneezing and coughing throughout the night, and end up losing your sleep. If you mix honey and turmeric with milk, you will not only be able to alleviate the symptoms of cough but also be able to sleep properly. Consuming turmeric and honey paste for cough can also help if you do not want to drink milk.
How to use honey and turmeric powder for cough?
The best part about this home remedy for cough is that you can use it in various ways. Following are the different recipes that use honey and turmeric to alleviate the conditions of cough:
- Golden Milk – One of the most effective recipes is that of the Golden Milk. You need to add a teaspoon of turmeric and one tablespoon of honey to a cup of milk and mix it well. You can add a pinch of grated ginger and cinnamon powder as well to improve the efficacy of this remedy. The ideal time to drink this would be before you go to sleep.
- Honey Turmeric Tea – Now here is a simple recipe that you can include in your diet to improve your sore throat. As you know, hot tea soothes your throat in such conditions, adding honey and turmeric to it will further improve the efficiency. Note that, you need not add sugar in this tea, as honey will do the job for you. Adding ½ a teaspoon of turmeric and 1 teaspoon of honey should be enough.
- Honey Turmeric Paste – This is as simple as it gets. You just need to mix one teaspoon of turmeric and one tablespoon of honey and make a viscous liquid. You can consume one teaspoon of this paste 3-4 times a day to improve your condition.
- Turmeric Honey Ginger Elixir – This is a recipe that you should definitely include in your diet. For this, you need one teaspoon of grated ginger, two teaspoon of turmeric, one tablespoon of honey and ½ teaspoon of crushed black pepper and around 450ml of warm water. You have to add ginger, turmeric and black pepper in the pot while boiling the water. Once you strain the water to a new pot, add honey to it and mix it. Drink it twice a day to get the best results. You can also add a teaspoon of lemon juice in it but that’s optional.
Why should you use the honey turmeric cough remedy instead of OTC medicines?
1. Much cheaper – Opting for this natural home remedy of having turmeric with honey for cough is a much cheaper option. Since most ingredients we listed in our various recipes are commonly found in an Indian household, you need not go out of the way to make this remedy, which will save you a lot of money.
2. Quick relief – You should not opt for this just because it is cheap but also because of the fact that it is equally potent as OTC medicines. By choosing this home remedy, you will not be making any compromises in terms of achieving relief from your cough. Many studies have shown that this remedy gives relief just as quickly as regular cough suppressants do. However, you must only use unadulterated honey to get the ideal results.
3. Potentially no side effects – Since all the ingredients are natural, there are potentially no side effects in consuming this home remedy. However, if you are allergic to either honey or turmeric then you should not opt for this option.
Frequently asked questions about Honey and Turmeric cough remedy
- How does turmeric and honey cure cough?
Both turmeric and honey have incredible anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties, combining together to alleviate the symptoms of cough. It helps in reducing the itchiness and soreness in the throat, and helps you fight the bacteria and viruses causing the cough.
- How can I instantly stop coughing?
You can stop coughing quickly by regularly consuming the home-made syrup of turmeric and honey, made in warm water. Add a pinch of grated ginger and cinnamon powder to this if you feel the symptoms are a bit too serious.
Now that you are clear with the amazing benefits of using turmeric and honey for cough, along with its efficacy, you should definitely rely on this home remedy from now on to cure cough.
To get the best results, you must only use raw and organic honey. You can trust Eiwa Honey to deliver top-grade honey at your doorstep, as our honey is manufactured with absolutely no human contact.
Eiwa's Turmeric Honey is an infused honey is a Super healer which has our Sidr honey, Tulsi Honey, and Lakadong Turmeric(with curcumin level around 11%).
It is rich in anti-oxidants, anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-carcinogenic, anti-mutagenic, and anti-inflammatory.
Effective in Hyperthyroidism, Sinusitis, Flu, Dry and Wet Cough Suppressant, subsiding symptoms of chemotherapy. Strengthens the Immune System. It is effective in skin care and wound healing. It is also very effective in easing digestive issues.